Brigham and Women's Hospital
In 1994, Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH) and Massachusetts General Hospital became members of a parent corporation called Partners HealthCare Inc. The history of these two hospitals spans almost two centuries. Since its inception, Partners has expanded to include Faulkner Hospital, McLean Hospital, Newton-Wellesley Hospital, North Shore Medical Center and Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital.
The Boston Lying-In Hospital was founded in 1832 by Dr. Walter Channing, who later became the first dean of Harvard Medical School and "Professor of Midwifery and Medical Jurisprudence." In 1875, the Free Hospital for Women was founded by Drs. William H. Baker, J.H. Storer and J.P. Reynolds. These two landmark hospitals for women merged in 1966 to become the Boston Hospital for Women.
In 1975, the Boston Hospital for Women joined two other Harvard teaching hospitals- The Peter Bent Brigham Hospital and The Robert Breck Brigham Hospital- to form Brigham and Women's Hospital. BWH is located in the Longwood Medical area in close proximity to Harvard Medical School, Children's Hospital Boston, Beth Israel-Deaconess Medical Center, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Joslin Diabetes Center and Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine.
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Brigham and Women's Hospital is one of the largest women's health services in the country, and serves as a major teaching unit of Harvard Medical School. The Mary Horrigan Connors Center for Women and Newborns opened in 1994, bringing together nearly all of the obstetric and gynecology services into one building, including a state of the art labor and delivery unit.